Sunday, July 23, 2006

Getting ready for camping!

I'm sooooo excited, I can't sleep. Just like a little kid. Actually, it may have something to do with sleeping for 3 hrs this afternoon that has screwed me up! LOL But we go to bed just after 11 (and frig, it's HOT! Got to 35 today!!) D is snoring, etc. I CAN'T SLEEP!! Making my mental lists. Oh for crying out loud, get up and put those items ON PAPER!!

So I made my lists for "DON'T FORGET" and "DO" and "BUY". Doesn't sound like Paddy can make it down after all, that work thang. Oh well, such is life. I'm kinda disappointed, but I'm trying to be understanding.....

It's supposed to be brutally hot here this week, so anywhere is better than here! Whether it be Dutch Creek or Livingstone Falls or go up between the two of them to the Headwaters of the Oldman River, which hey, found a topographical map of, which you have to look closely to see where Dutch Creek is. You need to click on the bottom right part of the map to make it larger!! (and did you notice? I figured out how to do links!!!!!)

Sweet! So I have Sunday to get ready. Today we bought a 6 lb sledge hammer that is 2 feet long. D says he can cut it down, it's fiberglass. Got myself a silly cheap straw cowboy hat for $3. And a book to read. 'Cause that's important! And got a new little propane tank for my 1-burner stove, not sure how full my last years' ones are.

Tomorrow will be pull out everything out of the closet, put it on the rumpus room floor, sort, make sure things work (like the air mattress!), and pack it up day. Still need to get a wood splitter. (ours got stolen when they stole our tool box out of our truck!) We checked at Canadian Tire, hoping they will be cheaper elsewhere. That's also on my list of to-do stuff tomorrow! GO BUY A WOOD SPLITTER!! I'm soooooooo excited!! YIPPPEEEEE!!!


Once we get back, then I have to figure out a place for the Girls' Weekend. We WERE going to go up to Deb R's place for the August long weekend, and camp on her acreage. But that fell thru - she has to do stuff with Randy. DAMN! And I can't take Sophy to anything to rough & tumble (that's why I'm soooooo looking forward to the next few days!) And I'm trying to figure out someplace between Calgary & here. Deb S. was fine with coming down to Lundbreck Falls, but you can't reserve, and if we can't get a spot, then what the hell do we do?

Years and years ago, I had camped on the Red Deer River, not quite at Drumheller, not at the ferry crossing. Damned if I can remember the name of the campground tho! All I remember about it is that there must have been a baseball tournament around there somewhere, 'cause across the river tenters arrived late in the evening and they played Supertramp's "School" (and the rest of the album too), and the haunting melody floated across the river - and Mother Nature gave us a wonderful in-the-distance light show with lightning flashing in the far northwest sky. It was waaaaay too freakin' cool!!

The campground had bush bunnies, and bats. And I got bitten by a garter snake - couldn't get the damned thing to let go of my finger!!! It was the first and last time I've ever been bitten by a snake. A garter snake, no less!! THEY NEVER BITE!! Scared the crap out of my kids for awhile, until we got the darn thing to let go! Man, did it clamp on! Actually broke thru my skin.

There was also upriver, across from us, and south of us, a tall cliff that had swallows all over it. Anyway, that would be a good place for us girls to meet, IF I knew where the hell it was! Guess I'll also bring my Alberta Campground Guide with me, and do some searching thru it while we are doing our wild & wooly camping. :-))))))))))))

TTFN

2 comments:

Viki said...

You know, it might have been the Morrin campsite. There is one just west of Morrin on Hwy. 27 at the bridge, and a lot of baseball tournaments are held there every year. Failing that another spectacular spot is on Hwy. 590 West of Big Valley at the bridge on the river. I think both of them are managed by Starland MD, but don't know if you can reserve. I can check for you tomorrow at the county office, which is just around the corner from my house.

Owl said...

Sweet!! River for me and Gracie. The girls can park their hinny's in their lawn chairs, in the river. Not tooooooo wild & wooly, relatively "civilized". And speaking of relative - you are more than welcome to camp too, with us. Be prepared for SWEARING & CUSSING tho! ~wink~