Saturday, July 01, 2006

Anyone else have this allergy?????

As you can see by the pics I've posted here... I love the outdoors and I love what plants can do for us, and how amazing they are. (Wait until I get started on my birds! LOL)

But the really bizarre thing, with all the interest I have regarding plants, I have this VERY strange allergy to plant oils! There is squat on the internet about it, all I can do is tell you about it. I don't know anyone else on my mom's side of the family that has it - and that's a considerable amount of people, believe me!! And my pop was adopted, so history only goes as far back as him! None of my siblings have it... nor my kidlets... it's just poor little ole me....

It was discovered when I was really young. I had snuck an orange with me when I was to go have my nap. Which I guess mom didn't discover until much later. I ended up with small water blisters all over my hands. THEN she discovered the orange under my pillow when she put me down that night to sleep. I had mangled it trying to take the peel off of it. Was there a connection?

Hmmm..... I guess they used to use plant dyes in black doll hair. And black leotards. So they shaved my doll. And I didn't wear black leotards anymore! And only peeled oranges with rubber gloves and used a paring knife. Kinda takes the fun outta eating an orange, don't it? Somehow, it's the OIL that sprays out of the orange SKIN that I'm allergic to. Yet I can peel Christmas oranges (see how correct I can be?!) Their skins I don't have a problem with. Go figure, eh?

Years ago, went camping with girlfriends. Was shaving/whittling the bark off a tamarack tree to make a walking stick. (in the same family as spruce/pine/fir) Didn't even think about the allergy! Woke up the next morning, and my arms were covered in ITCHY water blisters! Just the arms between where my sleeves were rolled up, and my leather gloves covered my hands. (THANK GOD for my gloves!!) Took me awhile to put it together... whitling. Tamarack. Plant oil. It was such a faint spray, didn't even see it!!

If I get a massage... please don't let them use Eucalyptus oil! Of course, I found out the hard way... was having shoulder problems, had some deep work done on it, and guess what he used? Yep, you got it! Or I should say, I GOT IT!! LOL

And forget about "hypo-allergic" make-up or skin care!! I can do chemicals up the whazzo... DON'T give me plant based stuff!!

Like DUH... bought Aveeno cream to use after shaving my legs. (nice stuff, by the way!) Gee, have some left over on my hands, pat my face with it. (shower/shave at night) Twice woke up the next morning with a swollen face. Okay, so I'm not too bright. Aveeno has soy and oatmeal. Don't have a problem with my legs, but my face certainly protested!! LOL Look, NO WRINKLES!!

So why is it that I'm so facinated with plants????? What kind of joke is this?? Hey, as far as I know, they won't kill me, just can make my life uncomfortable! At least it isn't an allergy to ANIMALS!!! That would be simply unacceptable!! :-)

There, done rambling for the day...
Things that make you go "hmmmmm......"
bbfn

No comments: