Sunday, September 03, 2006

Medieval - movies


Isn't this a GREAT Dragon chair?!!! God, I would have loved to take it home!! It was when I was in Las Vegas many years ago, at the Excalibur, that I just HAD to have my picture taken while sitting in it!
I've seen all the movies listed below. See if you can see a common theme...
LADYHAWKE (based on 12C French legend) 1995 Michelle Pfeiffer, Matthew Broderick, Rutger Hauer - MY MOST FAVORITE ONE OF ALL!!!
The Knights of the Round Table
First Knight 1996 Sean Connery (Arthur), Richard Gere (Lancelot),
Excalibur 1996
Camelot (1967) Richard Harris
The Mists of Avalon (2001) Anjelica Huston, Joan Allen, Julianna Margulies
Quest for Camelot - animated, GREAT soundtrack!
The Sword in the Stone (Disney animation)
Merlin (1998) Sam Neill, Miranda Richardson, Helena Bonham Carter, Rutger Hauer - watched it originally on tv, I loved it!
Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves(1991) Kevin Costner, Morgan Freeman, Christian Slater
Robin and Marion (1976) Sean Connery, Audrey Hepburn
Robin Hood: Men in Tights [FALL 95] (1993) directed by Mel Brooks, starring Cary Elwes, Richard Lewis Okay, so it was silly, but entertaining
Brother Sun, Sister Moon (St Francis of Assisi, 1182-1226) (1973) Graham Faulkner (Francesco), Judi Bowker (Clare), Alec Guinness (Pope Innocent III) God, I can still remember this movie, and I was what? 15 years old?
Braveheart (1300 Scotland) [SPRING 96] Mel Gibson "FREEDOM!"
Joan of Arc: A Portrait of a Legend (1428 France) (1948) Ingrid Bergman - Haven't seen it in years, but I thought Ingrid Bergman did a most excellent job!
The Princess Bride(1987) Cary Elwes, Mandy Patinkin Another silly movie - actually, it's Deb's Darryl's favorite movie! You should hear him quote lines from it!! LOL
Ever After - A Cinderella Story (1998) Drew Barrymore. I thought it was well done. Kinda a different twist.
Legend (1986)
Willow (1988) directed by Ron Howard, starring Warwick Davis, Val Kilmer. I thought this one was darn fine also!
Labyrinth (1986) directed by Jim Henson, starring David Bowie, Jennifer Connelly My neice Trina's favorite!
The Taming of the Shrew
Romeo and Juliet(1968) Olivia Hussey, Michael York I saw this at the theatre, all by myself. No one wanted to go with me, so I went by myself. And cried, all by myself. Didn't see it in '68 tho, must have been close to 10 yrs later that I saw it.
The Six Wives of Henry VIII (ruler of England 1509-1547)
Anne of the Thousand Days (Boleyn, 2nd wife of Henry VIII) Richard Burton (King Henry VIII), Geneviève Bujold (Anne Boleyn) I really liked Geneviève Bujold in this!
Lady Jane (Grey, grandniece of Henry VIII) Cast includes: Helena Bonham Carter
Cyrano de Bergerac (lived 1619-1655) 1990 Gerard Depardieu - There is that Frenchman again!
The Four Musketeers (1975)
CAST: Michael York, Oliver Reed, Richard Chamberlain, Raquel Welch, Christopher Lee, Faye Dunaway, Charlton Heston I LIKED Michael York movies!! And Oliver Reed - there was no one quite like him!
The Three Musketeers (early 1600s France) (1974)
CAST: Richard Chamberlain, Oliver Reed, Michael York, Raquel Welch, Christopher Lee, Faye Dunaway, Charlton Heston,
Return of the 3 Musketeers (1989) Cast: Michael York, Oliver Reed, C. Thomas Howell, Kim Cattrall, Richard Chamberlain
The Three Musketeers (1993) CAST: Kiefer Sutherland, Charlie Sheen, Chris O'Donnell, Oliver Platt, Rebecca DeMornay, Tim Curry,
The Three Musketeers 20 Years Later
A Knight's Tale (2001) Heath Ledger Set in the world of tournements, this is not a "historical film" in any conventional sense. But you know what? It's darn good!!
The 13th Warrior (1999) Antonio Banderas, Omar Sharif
The Vikings (1958) Kirk Douglas, Tony Curtis, Ernest Borgnine
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) Star; Graham Chapman -Meant to be humorous. It is, in parts.
Ivanhoe (1982). TV James Mason (Isaac of York), Anthony Andrews (Ivanhoe), Olivia Hussey (Rebecca),
Joan of Arc (1999) [TV MiniSeries] Cast includes: Leelee Sobieski, Jacqueline Bisset, Olympia Dukakis, Shirley MacLaine, Peter O'Toole.
Cyrano de Bergerac (1990) Gerard Depardieu
Dragonheart (1996)Adventure/Fantasy\ Cast inlcudes: Dennis Quaid, Sean Connery I really enjoyed this movie!! (Also a 2000 sequel - not so good)

Mustn't forget the pirate ones......
Blackbeard's Ghost (1968) Peter Ustinov, Dean Jones LOVE Peter Ustinov in this!!
Hook (1991) Duston Hoffman, Robin Williams
The Ice Pirates (1984) Robert Urich, Mary Crosby, Bob Hoskins
Muppet Treasure Island (1996) Tim Curry and the Muppets
Pirates of the Caribbean (2003) Still haven't seen the 2nd one yet!!
The Pirate Movie (1982) OMG!! I can't believe it's been that long ago!! I even have the soundtrack LP for it!! LOL
Swashbuckler (1976) Robert Shaw, James Earl Jones - this was an EXCELLENT movie!
Treasure Island - I know I've see a few different ones...

Really, I'm going somewhere with this... check back later....

bbfn

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amazing chair!
I've seen most of those movies too!