Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Pin cushion cactus / ball cactus


Look at the magic the desert holds for us - those of us who take the time to have a look!!

This is a pin cushion cactus... you would probably never see it if it weren't in bloom! That's how small it is!! And you'd never see it if you were running barefoot acoss the pairie - until you landed on it!!

I read that the fruit is edible. Quite delicious, in fact!! I'm going to have to keep my eye out for it and try one. I'll let you know when I do. IF I'm still alive!! LOL

And I guess you can eat the pulp too. Split it in two and eat the insides. Good ole' Mother Nature, eh? Just make sure you are wearing leather gloves when you attempt it. Or... you can burn the spines off. But really, why would you want to kill this beautiful little plant? When your fridge is FULL of food!! But, it's good to know, if you ever go on Survivor or get lost!!
TTFN

No comments: