Tuesday, January 31, 2006

GYRFALCON!!!

Gracie & I were out at the river on Sunday... while we were standing on one of the coulee humps, I hear a bird call. But not just any bird... it looked like a small hawk! But I KNOW it isn't a hawk - they've all flown to South American for the winter. Except for the Rough Legged Hawk, but this bird was NOT that!! Got a pretty good look at the bird's underside as he was hovering in our strong "breeze" - almost white with ALOT of speckles. Then he zoomed down thru the coulee canyon away from us. So of course, I scramble down the hill, and begin to follow him. Who wouldn't???!!! Next thing I know, he's back, hovering on the wind, then lands on a small tree sticking out of the hillside. And just sits there! Calling to me. Tipping it's head, checking Gracie and me out. I admit, I briefly wondered how hungry he was! Because he seemed so tame, and kept "chirping" at us, and let me climb up the rocky hill towards him, I even did something only I would do! I stood there, with my left arm out, chirping back at him. Hey, it might have been someone's hunting bird!!! LOL I had my old Canon Sure Shot, hopefully I got a couple of pics of him. Of course, my zoom camera had died the day before, need a new freakin' battery!!

When I got home, I immediately dug out my bird books. And it turns out the bird I saw was a GYRFALCON!! (said Juhr Falcon or ger falcon) Go to www.junglewalk.com - they have a great sample of the sound a gyrfalcon makes!

Notes:
Gyrfalcons have been highly regarded by falconers throughout falconry's history. During the Middle Ages when falconry was a common practice, no one but a king or prince was allowed to own and fly a gyrfalcon. Today this falcon still retains its high status in the world of falconry. In falconry, the male gyrfalcon is called a jerkin.

The Gyrfalcon is the largest true falcon in the world. Gyrfalcons have a variety of plumage colors that range from white to almost black.

Anyway, it was just waaaaaay too freakin' cool!!! :-)))))))))))))) That has left me grinning from ear to ear everytime I think about it!!

I tried to load some pics.... but I think the best thing you can do to see one is go to www.yahoo.ca, and do a search for "gyrfalcon pics". There are some pretty good ones there.

4 comments:

Viki said...

Lucky you! Though not a "birder", I am interested in seeing different ones, and I do love to see the birds of prey. But, I have seen hawks around here. I didn't realize they migrate away! What am I seeing then?

Owl said...

I'm no expert, by any means, but you may be seeing a Rough Legged Hawk...

This big hawk (about 53 cm, 21 in. long) of the open country is identified by a wide black belly band, a broad dark band on the white tail and black patches at the bend of the outstretched wing. The head and underparts are a creamy white streaked with brownish black feathers and the back and wings are slightly darker. The name "rough-legged" refers to the feathers which cover the legs to the base of the toes. Like most hawks, a darkly colored form of the rough-legged hawk also exists.

This hawk does not nest in Alberta but migrates through the province, to and from its nesting grounds in the Arctic. Occasionally this bird spends the winter in parts of the province if the weather is mild, but most of these hawks migrate to the United States.

Nests are built in trees, on cliffs, or on the ground. Moss is often used as a lining for the nest which contains 2 to 5 eggs.

One of the most recognizable traits of this hawk is the way it hovers over one spot in search of food. Mice, ground squirrels, rabbits and other small game are the basic food of the rough-legged hawk. Carrion is also eaten.

Viki said...

You know, I think that's the guy alright. I've seen them hovering--spooky!

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.